Monday, June 4, 2007

Frederick Family Chiropractic

...Donna Frederick opened Frederick Family Chiropractic on June 1, 2006. She believes she is the only female chiropractor in Delaware County. Frederick is a Muncie native who graduated from Southside High School, Ball State University and Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, Iowa...

Were you a non-traditional student? "I had been out of school for nine years and was going on 30. But non-traditional students are very common at chiropractic schools. People decide later in life to go..."

You decided to open your own practice? "The dream is to open your own practice. It doesn't happen a lot. Most of the students in my class did associateships with another doctor for a year or two. You want to build a patient base, but most sign a non-compete clause so you can't take patients with you. Few people in my class planned to start their own practice right away. It's usually a money issue..."

Have you reached your goal with your practice? "I'm not there yet. We're seeing about 80 people a week. My goal is 300."

Is that number typical? "There's a low percentage of chiropractors who see 300 or more a week..."

Do you have a most memorable moment? "I went to India on a clinic abroad trip. I had a 'miracle case,' a 24-year-old who could barely walk, barely speak, his eyes diverged to opposite corners of his sockets. They brought him in for low back pain. I adjusted him three times. The second day he was saying the word 'doctor.' By the third day he was speaking in complete sentences, walking without assistance and his eyes had coordinated."

What affected him? "I think he had a nerve compression in his neck and information from his brain was not getting to where it needed to get. I just happened to be the person who saw him. It's not that I think I'm so great, but I can do this."

What's the difference between chiropractors and MDs? "To get an MD, I would have to go to school two more years. The difference is we don't do minor surgeries or prescribe medication. I can do a physical, order tests and MRIs and blood work. But my treatment consists of adjustments and therapies."

What's the most common problem you treat? "Headaches and low back pain."

What's the most common treatment? "I have stretches that I have them do or I do an adjustment and then recommend exercises. I do manual techniques. I use my hands. I move the bone so it helps relieve the pressure on the nerve. You do a very small adjustment."

To see rest of article and picture:
http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070603/BUSINESS/706030327/1046

No comments: